Thursday, September 24, 2009

Amy Butler Weekender: Purchasing the materials...

My friend Grace, who is a very awesome knitter, was admiring my bag one day and instead of her learning how to sew and me learning how to knit, we decided to barter =)! I would make her a weekender and she would knit me an Every Way Wrap and a hat. Being the speedy and dedicated person that she is, she has already finished my wrap and I have barely started her bag! I blame the fact that I'm traveling to Denver every week for work and I only have time to sew on the weekends at home. Hubby thinks I should buy a cheap sewing machine here in Denver and sew on the weekdays so that I can get it done faster. Until then, the progress will probably be very slow. Sorry!

Ok, so you want to make an Amy Butler Weekender bag? First off, after buying the pattern, make sure you print/download the revised material list and instructions on Amy Butler's website. Second off, it isn't a cheap bag to make...especially if you use designer fabric. Here's what a breakdown of my costs for grace's bag look like:

Purchased from Fabric.com:
- 2 yards of Amy Butler Nigella Twill Primrose Nickel ($29.96) for the exterior
- 2 yards of Amy Butler Nigella Twill Wood Fern Silver ($29.96) for the lining
- .5 yards of medium weight linen indigo ($5.99) for the piping (the lining fabric can also be used for the piping; add .5 yards to lining fabric if using lining fabric for piping)
- 2.5 yards of Peltex Sew-In Ultra Firm Stabilizer ($12.95)
- 5 yards of cotton piping size 1 or 3/16" ($.22) for the piping
- 4 nickel 14mm purse feet ($2.59) you actually need 6 purse feet, but I had 2 purse feet leftover from when I purchased 8 purse feet for my first bag
Subtotal: approx. $66 (that's with free shipping and 25% off my entire purchase; you'll also need to purchase the pattern (~$12))

Purchased from Jo-Ann Fabrics:
- 1 30" dual-separating zipper (~$4) - this allows you to unzip the bag from either end of the bag
- 1 9" all-purpose zipper (~$3) - this is optional; only purchase if you are sewing an internal zipper pocket into the lining
- 1 sheet of 12” wide x 18” long Heavy Duty Template Plastic from Prim-Dritz™ (found with the quilting supplies) (~$3)
- 3.75 yards of 20" wide fusible woven interfacing (~$12)
- 2 spools of coordinating thread (~$4) - the instructions say 1 spool, but I would buy 2 to be on the safe side
Subtotal: approx. $16 (that's with making several trips and using 40% off coupons)

Total: approx. $82

The only area that you can probably save the most money is to use cheaper decorating weight fabric...but if you're going to spend so much time on sewing a bag, you might as well choose a fabric that you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment