Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Amy Butler Weekender: Thank goodness for Steam-a-Seam

Sorry about the hiatus in blog posts. Work has picked up and the weekends have been super busy. But good news, hubby bought me a new Singer Curvy 8780 to use while I'm in Denver. We'll see if I'll be able to part with it once my project is over!

So back to the Weekender. After cutting all of the pieces, the next step is to make the piping. I decided to use a navy colored heavy weight linen for the cording so that the outline of the bag is more pronounced. The instructions call for using the lining fabric for the piping. I bought 1 yard of heavy weight linen for the piping. Linen is kind of hard to work with...it's stretchier than cotton. And I had to buy a white marking pencil since the fabric is so dark. After cutting out the pieces for the piping, I sewed them together according to the instructions. It's not very clear how to figure out where to sew the seam, but you'll get the hang of it after a few pieces.

Next, the instructions say to use your zipper foot to sew the piping cover around the cotton cording. Make sure you followed the revised materials list and got 6/32" cording instead of 8/32". I followed the advice of the bloggers I mentioned in my first post and used Steam-a-Seam instead of sewing the piping together. It might take a little longer, but it elimates one of many seams against the cording that will be sewed in future steps. The fun parts are coming up next!


5 comments:

  1. hi yvonne, just wondering if you're up for selling your bags and/or aprons? they're beautiful! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yvonne! I saw your blog link on Ed & Alicia's blog and noticed your crafty baker name, which made me want to check out your blog. I'm a craft blogger too. :) I have just gotten into sewing the last year, but am still working on pretty basic projects. I will have to add your blog to my reader!

    I saw on your profile that you are splitting time with Denver for work. Did you know Truman and I moved to Denver this summer? What part of the city are you working in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow so glad I found this blog. I purchased the pattern along with some of the materials in November and am planning to start this bag later this week. I have only made pillow cases before and have never used a pattern so this is going to be quite the experience im sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amber! Sorry I didn't see your comment until now! Yes, I'm in Denver M-Th during most weeks and sometimes I stay over the weekend. I think Gordon has gotten in touch with Truman, but I'm living in the LoDo area. Gordon will be up here to visit quite often starting in January and will probably call Truman up to go snowboarding/skiing =).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thirteen Winks, don't worry if you have to read the pattern steps over and over again...and be patient and take it slow! It took me a while to fully understand the instructions on my first bag and even on my second bag, I've had to rip out a ton of seams and start all over. I will be posting more steps soon and feel free to contact me if you have specific questions! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete